Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Could I Create Scripture??

The movie "Noah" is weird. Maybe it's because seeing the Watchers, Noah, a massive flood and glowing snakeskin in the same rough hour on my laptop in a cramped dorm, while pondering if this movie is scripture, just sends my mind in a circle. However, is this movie with its $125,000,000 budget and star-studded cast that was produced in 2014, scripture? Your gut, mind, eyes, ears, head, shoulders, knees and toes all aggressively want to tell you "NO". But is it? Noah, at its core, is just a re-telling of one of the most popular Biblical stories. Why does changing the medium that this story is being told through, change the story of Noah's Arch from being absolutely scripture (if you actually read in the Book of Genesis) to something that we so viscerally discredit at such?

The Book of Mormon is absolutely scripture (at the very least, it is scripture to Mormons). The Book of Mormon is significantly farther, at least in terms of subject matter, from the more traditional stories found in the Torah, Quran or Christian Bible. Yet, because the Book of Mormon -- and potentially even other, somewhat similar, religious texts such as Christian Science's Science and Health -- can be considered scripture, it seems that even texts that tell new stories, can still be regarded as scripture.

If subject matter doesn't determine what is scripture, then maybe the major deciding factor should be whether people actually follow the text. For example, if I wrote a text called The Way's to Follow Hartungism, detailing Hartungism, my new religion and all the way's one can be a devout follower of this religion, I'd be hard-pressed to find anyone willing to call this scripture. However, what about Scientology? There are plenty of people who would refer to the texts of Hubbard as scripture. But honestly, why is a story such as this, any different than the nail-bitingly wonderful stories found in my The Way's to Follow Hartungism.

The story of Noah, even in movie form, seems to fit both of these categories. The content is fairly close to the story told in the Book of Genesis and the story of Noah has millions of followers. It seems that even in Blockbuster form, the story of Noah should be considered scripture. After all, why should the slight differences between the movie and the text make all that much of a difference? There are plenty of discrepancies within the canon of the Christian Bible, let alone all the other texts that can also be considered scripture. Therefore, it seems logical that the Hollywood-fueled, Russell Crow style story of Noah should be able to, at the very least, sit comfortably in the gray area of "What is scripture?", if not be outright given a "yes" on that question.

So, content and followers. If some Hollywood producer can produce something that is, at the very least, questionably scripture, can I?  If I have the two, is it possible for anyone to create scripture? I honestly don't know. My gut, mind, eyes, ears, head, shoulders, knees and toes tell me yes. Now, do I have the followers? No. Do I have text that can be followed? No. BUT, hypothetically, should I get those two (along with other details not discussed here), I believe that there's a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment