In Enticed by Eden, I was given a side of Adam and Eve that I never even considered. I have never entertained the thought where the creation of Adam and Eve was romantic in any sense. The book quoted some conservative evangelicals and their belief in romance in Eden. I thought it was peculiar when “love at first sight” was mentioned. We know that Eve more Adam several sons, but it does not mention whether they love each other or not. I never thought there was a concern of love and romance in Eden given all the chaos and drama that happens in there. It is absurd that Eve is just made to be submissive because of the order they were “born” in. There was a joke on the internet that went, “God created man first, because every artist needs a sketch for the final product.” This quick joke that I stumbled upon gave me a good chuckle and for the first time made me question the importance of the order of their “birth”. If we really think about the evangelical lens to the creation of women, instead of dogs, women are men’s best friend.
Reading this book has introduced me to a weird world of Christian sex. If I had read only this book in my entire life, I would blame the Bible for all the injustices against women. Of course, I know that the Bible and religion is not the only patriarchal structure that continues to oppress women, but Schearing and Ziegler brings up the way modern women are suppose to be complete submissive to men which fuels sexual fetisization. Most of my life hatred is fueled by the patriarchy. I cannot believe that there are women in the modern world that believes they are suppose to be below men just because a collection of scriptures said so. This is unacceptable. Women are not to only be the damsel in distress, but also heroines of their own lives. As portrayed beautifully, the Disney movie Enchanted flips the role of damsel and knight. Feminism is geared towards equality in all genders, meaning the validation of men’s emotions along with their vulnerability and women’s equality in a multitude of issues.
No comments:
Post a Comment